How do you compare to the average leader?
I have sat down with more than 1,000 leaders using 360 degree feedback to discuss their development needs and help them develop plans to be a better leader. Here are some common themes I found with many leaders. Read on to see how your leadership style compares? How would your team describe your leadership? How accurate would your self assessment be?
Typical leader strengths
- Results focus
- Technical skills (people often rise to a leadership role due to having good technical skills)
- Accepting Accountability (people often get a leadership role by showing they can take things on)
- Commercial acumen
- Planning & organising
Common leadership challenges
- Coaching & developing people (many people arrive in a leadership role having never formally learnt how to coach effectively)
- Managing performance and giving feedback
- Managing conflict
- Motivating individuals and teams
- Delegating – do too much themselves
- Leading change & innovation
- Building a team